Building on the Foundation of Charity
Published On: Thursday, September 28, 2017
Original Publisher: Carpenter Contractor Trust
In 1894, a local order of Nuns built a barn which served as their home base to collect donations for their community.
Authored by: Anthony Abrantes, Senior Council Representative, Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters
The Park Avenue Club sits next door to the New York Jets training facility and just down the street from Farleigh Dickinson University, but most people are unfamiliar with this clubs’ history and charitable mission. In 1894, a local order of Nuns built a barn which served as their home base to collect donations for their community. After years and years of use the building was bound for demolition, but many business and local individual joined the Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters in 1994 to restore the old barn back into a home base for the local community to give back.
The club and its members benefit the Park Avenue Foundation, which primarily serves the Boys & Girls Clubs of Newark, Community Food Bank of NJ, Jersey Battered Women’s Service, Morris Habitat for Humanity, Wharton Institute for the Performing Arts, P.G. Chambers School, Boy Scouts of America Patriots’ Path Council, Share Our Strength, The Morris Museum, and the Burgdorff Foundation. Today, the carpenters are once again working on this historic building through the help of Natoli Construction and proud to bring everything full circle. Aside from the volunteer work put in back 1994 and the current construction project, the Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters donates regularly to the Park Avenue Foundation and looks forward to continue with a great partnership.